The job of the Advisory Board is to assure there's a healthy Library System and to advise the Library Staff about needs for library services in the community. To achieve these ends, Members of the Board:
Please email any questions to the Library Advisory Board
(I) PURPOSE: To act as liaison between the community and the City Council and County Commission; to recommend policies to the Council and Commission; to
promote and foster the development and improvement of libraries and library services in Albuquerque and Bernalillo County.
(II) MEMBERSHIP: There are 11 members of the Library Advisory Board. Membership shall be in accordance with Section 2 of City of Albuquerque Ordinance 7-1967 and the annual Bernalillo County/City of Albuquerque Memorandum of Understanding. Seven members are appointed by the Mayor, and approved by the City Council. Four members are appointed by the Bernalillo County Commission. Members should be representative of the area, including when possible various geographic, ethnic, socio-economic, professional, and business interests. The Board members should have a diversity of interests and occupations; contacts with community leaders and organizations; knowledge of the standards which libraries should meet; a knowledge of legal authority, the State statues, local ordinances and the Board regulations under which the libraries operate; time to attend meetings in order to become familiar with the techniques of Library operation; and time to devote to furthering Library service.
Members may not serve more than two consecutive, three-year terms, provided however, that members who are originally appointed to fill an unexpired term may be re-appointed to two full terms. Members appointed by the City of Albuquerque shall hold office, unless removed as provided herein, until a successor has been duly qualified.
Members serve without pay.
Upon resignation or retirement of a member, the remaining members, upon request from the Council or Commission, may present names of representative citizens of Albuquerque/Bernalillo County. Before selecting prospects for presentation to the Councilor Commission, the Advisory Board shall contact said persons to ascertain their willingness to serve.
Each year, the Friends for the Public Library shall appoint one person to act as their representative at Board meetings, functions, etc. This representative shall serve as an ex-officio member of the Library Advisory Board.
A. Officers of the Board shall be nominated at the meeting during which elections shall be held. Elections will be held at an official meeting in the fall of each year. Officers shall be as follows: Chairperson and Vice Chairperson. Terms shall be for one year.
B. Whenever possible, the duties of the Chairperson shall rotate annually between Board members appointed to represent the City and those appointed to represent the County.
C. The Chairperson shall have served on
the Board for a minimum of one year prior to election; shall preside at all meetings; shall appoint all committees; and may call special meetings. The chairperson generally performs all of the duties of a presiding officer.
D. Whenever possible, The Vice Chairperson shall have served on the Board for a minimum of one year prior to election; shall preside as Chairperson in the absence of the Chairperson performing all such duties as required; and shall assist the Chairperson in his/her duties.
E. The Librarian shall be an ex-officio member of the Board, shall serve as Secretary, and shall keep an accurate and true account of all proceedings of the Board meetings, shall issue notices of regular meetings with the agenda of said meetings, shall have custody of the minutes and all of the records pertaining to the activities of the Board. Copies of all minutes, and records shall be filed with the City Clerk, in accordance with City Ordinance.
F. The Chairperson may appoint such committees as the Board decides from.time to time are desirable. Special committees for the study and investigation of special problems may be appointed by the Chairperson, such committees to serve until the completion of the work for which they were appointed.
A. Meetings shall be held at least every three months at such time and place as designated by the Board. Special meetings may be called by the Chairperson, the Librarian, or by any two members of the Board. Notice of the time, place and subject matter of such special meetings shall be communicated to the members not less than three days before said meeting.
B. A quorum for the transaction of business shall consist of a majority of the Board's officially appointed membership.
C. The order of business at all meetings shall be governed by Robert's Rules of Order except that at meetings the agenda shall include a Librarian's report.
D. Meetings shall be open to the public and notice of meetings shall be posted in libraries in accordance with applicable Open Meetings laws.
A. The Board shall recommend policies governing the Library System program and the operation of the Library System. It shall act as a buffer between the public and the Librarian and the Library staff in support of said policies. These recommendations may be changed by the Board.
B. The Librarian shall have sole charge of the administration of the libraries: shall be responsible for the employment and direction of the staff, the efficiency of the Libraries' service to the public, the operation of the Libraries under the annual budget which has been presented to the City Council and County Commission and approved by them.
C. Board Members shall attend meetings, hearings and other activities in support of the Board's purpose, and the furtherance of Library development and improvement.
(VI) Conduct: Any member of the Library Advisory Board may be removed from/office for failing to attend three regular meetings or being absent from more than 50% of the regular meetings held during any twelve consecutive months or for violation of the City Ordinance, Chapter 2, part 2, Boards, Commissions and Committees, including amendments thereto.
(VII) AMENDMENTS: These by-laws may be amended or added to at any meeting of the Board by majority vote of the members present, provided the proposed amendment was stated in the notice of the meeting. Amendments will be filed with the City of Albuquerque in accordance with applicable City Ordinances. No language in these By-Laws should be deemed to contradict any City or County ordinance in effect now nor any legislation approved in the future.
Revised and Adopted: October 7, 2004
THIS MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING is made and entered into this______ by and between the County of Bernalillo, a political subdivision of the State of New Mexico (hereinafter called the "County") and the City of Albuquerque, New Mexico, a municipal corporation (hereinafter called the "City").
WHEREAS, the County and the City entered into a Joint Powers Agreement, dated April 29, 1991 hereinafter referred to as the "Joint Powers Agreement", for the establishment of a unified library system (hereinafter refened to as the "System"); and
WHEREAS, the County and the City wish to establish specific funding obligations and duties of the parties for fiscal year 2007, pursuant to Section 5 of the Joint Powers Agreement.
NOW THEREFORE, in consideration of the premises and mutual obligations herein, the parties hereto do mutually agree as follows:
1. Annual Budget. The annual budget for fiscal year 2007 (the "Budget"), as approved by the County Commission and the City Council, is hereby adopted by the parties.
2. County Funding. For fiscal year 2007, the County agrees to pay all personnel and operating expenses associated with the operation of the County portion of the Unified Library System, in an amount not to exceed, without prior written approval of the County, One million one hundred thirty eight thousand nine hundred twenty-five dollars ($1,138,925). Adjustments to the Budget if approved by the County need not take the form of a written agreement executed by the parties. The County shall disburse funds after receipt of an invoice from the City for one-twelfth of the appropriated funds for the County Libraries.
3. Accountability. The City will make available to the County for examination, and will permit the County to audit and make excerpts or transcripts from all of the City's records with respect to all matters covered by this Agreement including, but not limited to annual operating budgets and audited financial statements. This Agreement also provides for strict accountability for all receipts and disbursements. Invoices shall be accompanied by documentation sufficient to demonstrate County library costs including total cost of apportioned expenses. In addition, the City shall provide a quarterly report to the County Manager detailing County library expenses and services.
4. Director of Library Services. For fiscal. year 2007, the Cultural Services Department's Associate Director for Libraries shall be the Director of Library Services pursllant to Section 9.A. of the Joint Powers Agreement. The City agrees to operate the System in accordance with the Joint Powers Agreement and the Budget.
5. Library Board. The City and County shall have a Unified Library Board which shall meet no fewer than four times a year and report to the City and County on all matters relating to library policies and plans. The City shall appoint up to seven members and the County shall appoint up to four members. All members shall be registered voters of the County. Members shall be appointed for three-year terms and may be appointed to serve up to two consecutive terms.
6.Term. This Agreement shall commence on July 1, 2006, and continue for a term of one year unless sooner terminated by mutual agreement of the parties, if a subsequent Memorandum of Understanding or agreement between the parties is not entered into by Ju]y 1, 2007, the term of this Agreement shall be extended until such times as a subsequent agreement is executecl by the parties. During the extension of term, services and disbursements shall continue without change.
7.Approval Required. This Agreement shall not become effective or binding until approved by the Bernalillo County Manager, as authorized by the Board of County Commissioners, and the City's Chief Administrative Officer.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the City and the County have executed this Agreement as of the date stated in the first paragraph of this Agreement.
CITY OF ALBUQUERQUE BERNALILLO COUNTY
Approved by: Approved by:
(original signed) (original signed)
Bruce J. Perlman, PhD, Thaddeus Lucero,
Chief Administrative Officer County Manager
Date: (9/20/06) Date: (7/21/06)
Velia Silva, Director
Cultural Services Department
Julia L.Clarke, Acting Associate Director,
Approved as to Form:
County Legal Department